Schelin’s goal was disallowed: “She confessed, I fell”
Late last night, the Swedes were furious about the disallowed goal. Angriest of them all was Lotta Schelin, who sends a request to the Swiss referee:
— I hope she goes home and looks at it and thinks about it. If she’s made the wrong call, she damn well should fret over it a bit.
Germany took the lead against Sweden in the first half through Dzsenifer Marozsán. In the second the Swedes bombarded Nadine Angerer with shots, but only one went past the German goalkeeper and into the goal. The problem with Lotta Schelin’s direct hit in the 63rd minute was that the goal was disallowed. In an earlier stage the forward had been fighting for the ball with Annike Krahn, who fell. Free kick, thought the referee Esther Staubli from Switzerland.
Nonsense, thinks Lotta Schelin on her way out from the arena last night.
— You can’t disallow a goal like that, she says and disappointed continues:
— I haven’t seen the replays, but Krahn comes up to me afterwards and says “I’m sorry, I fell. I couldn’t do anything, but then it’s the referee who makes the call”. We were fighting for the ball a little, but hell, how often aren’t you fighting for the ball? Then she trips a little over herself and I press it in and then after like five minutes she blows the whistle.
Schelin’s shot triggered group hugs on the Swedish bench. The players on the pitch were rejoicing and preparing for kick-off. But both assisting Marie Hammarström and finisher Lotta Schelin understood in the middle of the euphoria that something was wrong.
— I turn around and everyone’s running away, but I stay, because I see that she’s standing with her hand. I don’t go as crazy as everyone else, but for me it feels unreal.
Lotta Schelin requests that the referee look through the sequence again and be ashamed if the call is incorrect. The forward gets support from her teammates who also think that she goal should have been allowed.
— It’s a wrong call. She stumbles over herself. A nice goal gets disallowed, says Kosovare Asllani.
— We scored a goal but she whistled it away, says Caroline Seger.
Article by Kristoffer Bergström for Aftonbladet, photo from UEFA.com.
- vans-and-coke-cans likes this
- frowncrackers likes this
- glucksmarie likes this
- afro-european likes this
- soccerrevolution likes this
- intothenewmrgenietaxi reblogged this from womenseurofootball
- karla2289 likes this
- thelimegreenbox likes this
- kwstrife likes this
- cluster---fuck likes this
- love4uswnt reblogged this from womenseurofootball
- neahua likes this
- getnutmegged likes this
- landis9 reblogged this from swagronskyy
- bluephitengold reblogged this from lottaschelin
- bluephitengold likes this
- sirithings likes this
- akfan101 likes this
- retim2nd reblogged this from lottaschelin
- retim2nd likes this
- medwomen likes this
- lottaschelin reblogged this from womenseurofootball
- lottaschelin likes this
- greatorwell likes this
- mm0615 reblogged this from canwntuswnt
- alltheaboveis likes this
- sugarhoneyicedteas reblogged this from henriksaves
- anawithanh likes this
- sincyfan12 likes this
- shadowofadamagedheart reblogged this from fuckzima
- fuckzima reblogged this from gofindsomewhere
- fuckzima likes this
- sophiemomentsarebeautifulmoments reblogged this from fuckyeah-rhianwilkinson
- fuckyeah-rhianwilkinson reblogged this from les-zeppelin
- tobsohara likes this
- us-w-nt reblogged this from captainkessi
- hao-wnt likes this
- les-zeppelin reblogged this from captainkessi
- captainkessi reblogged this from fuckyeahtanc
- genericwhiteagentdude likes this
- fuckyeahtanc reblogged this from canadianrd and added:
- 25orsixtofour reblogged this from canwntuswnt
- gofindsomewhere reblogged this from canadianrd and added:
- we-will-run-faster reblogged this from mrslaurenholiday
- chocolatecoffeeandbooks reblogged this from notakitchensink
- notakitchensink reblogged this from canwntuswnt
- notakitchensink likes this
- ali-kreiger reblogged this from womenssoccer
- ali-kreiger likes this
- canadianrd reblogged this from canwntuswnt and added: